Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Getting It

So my very dear friend Alex Sanchez is in town this week and we went out for a late dinner at Clydes in Chevy Chase. He is touring for his newest book Getting It which I now have for my late night read. It looks to be a fantastic addition to his catalogue so look for my review here later. Alex and I have been friends and "art buddies" for 12-13 years now and I always look forward to catching up with him when he comes back through DC. He took the plunge 3 years ago to leave DC and live a full time writing life, living mostly in Thailand. I am always amazed that he has actualized his vision - to tell affirming stories about gay and lesbian people. His writings are subversive in their innocence and normalilty - giving gay teens a voice to identify with. I was a suicidal gay teen myself. It is not easy when who you are is regularly demonized around and in front of you so I applaud Alex for daring to state the truth about growing up gay so that others might not feel so alone.

Well - happy rainy Tuesday from DC pumpkins.

No comments: